Information Regarding the

Complaints under the Student Conduct Code

Alleged violations of the Student Conduct Code (Code), whether minor or severe, are matters of concern to the University.  Allegations of misconduct may be reported by the University police, University departments, other students, faculty or staff, or campus guests.  Allegations of misconduct are forwarded to the Office for Student Conduct and Academic Integrity to determine whether the alleged misconduct, based on available evidence, appears to have violated the Code and which provisions of the Code appear to have been violated. 

Informal Resolution of Complaints.

The Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity (OSCAI) is authorized to handle violations of the Code. Upon receiving a complaint, OSCAI gathers information, contacts the student against whom a complaint has been made, and requires that the student make an appointment to meet with us to address the complaint. The University believes that most complaints under the Code can be handled informally, without the need for a formal hearing before a hearing panel. OSCAI will meet with the student and in most cases will attempt to resolve the complaint on a person-to-person basis.

Philosophy for Resolving Complaints

OSCAI is interested in making a fair determination of the truth or falsity of the complaint. We emphasize educational purpose in carrying out our disciplinary function, including assisting students in understanding and accepting responsibility for their own behavior. While the emphasis of the disciplinary process is on responsible student self-development, the nature of the offense often will require, in fairness to the community, the impositions of disciplinary sanctions. These sanctions may take the form of making amends, compliance with imposed requirements, restitution, disciplinary probation, and other responses appropriate to the violation. Although OSCAI interviews are educational, informal, and confidential in nature, you are permitted to bring a support person with you if you choose.

Formal Hearing

If a student does not accept the resolution offered by OSCAI, the student may reject that decision and instead challenge the complaint in a formal hearing before a University hearing panel. Depending on circumstances, the hearing panel would be the Campus Committee on Student Behavior or another hearing body within the appropriate college. If you wish to have a hearing, OSCAI will direct your request to the appropriate hearing panel.


If you would like more information on the University disciplinary system, you may contact OSCAI at 612-624-6073. In addition, the Student Conflict Resolution Center is available for advice or representation if you want such services. 

The Student Conduct Code (pdf, effective January 1, 2013) is available on-line.